Wednesday, November 7, 2007

eeny, meeny, miney, mo....

So, Hannah is an eighth grader. That is stress enough... but WHERE will she go to High school???? THAT is the question of the year!
So, I am going to use my blog as a pros/cons place. I will write my pros and cons for the 3 choices. Hopefully it will help me to see it in writing. Please feel free to give any thoughts or advise... we need it all!!!!! Keep in mind, Hannah loves drama, music and such...

Pros-
Righetti HS-
  • Public (read FREE)
  • lots of activities and elective classes (lots of drama, choir, band, arts, etc)
  • most of H's friends will go here
  • lots of sports

St. Joseph-
  • Familiar (I used to teach there, Tim coaches football there... we know the faculty and admin.)
  • Small (650 students grades 9-12)
  • closed campus
  • very academic.
  • Lockers
  • Rich history of traditions
  • All the sports offered... big sports school... I think that they require students to participate on at least one team.

Orcutt Academy-
  • Public Charter (read FREE)
  • brand new (H's will be the first class... they get to set the traditions, chose the mascot, colors etc. First graduating class)
  • small 125 students per grade
  • closed campus
  • Very Academic
  • Supposed to offer band, choir, drama etc... we will see
  • Will incorporate the International Baccalaureate program... pretty inovative and rigorous higher level classes

Cons-
Righetti HS-
  • HUGE 2500 students grades 9-12
  • open campus (they can leave anytime)
  • easy to get "lost" in the system
  • some gangs
  • no dress code (NONE, you should see what some of those girls are wearing or should I say NOT wearing!)
  • you can get a good education but nobody is paying attention or pushing you
  • No lockers- you have to carry everything all day

St. Joe-
  • EXPENSIVE $7000 tuition plus books and everything else
  • time committment for parents (bingo, working games etc)
  • Cliquish and snooty (rich people's kids: kids getting brand new car for 16th birthday etc)
  • Strict dress code (girls have to wear collared shirts.. those are not easy to find, etc)
  • Religion Classes required (not that we mind them SO much, but we don't nessessarily want to pay for classes in Catholosism when we aren't Catholics)
  • No classes offered in Music, drama, etc.

Orcutt Academy-
  • NEW (I know that I said that was a pro, but they are also just working out the bugs... would the first class be a guniea pig class?)
  • pieced together campus (sharing with the Jr. High the first year at least... no estimate on when they would have their own facility)
  • Lottery to get in
  • Dress code is unwritten so I will put it here until we see
  • less offerings of sports and clubs etc in the first few years

So, that is what I have so far... I will continue updating as I think of things...

12 comments:

CK Photo said...

This is such a hard decision. How would she handle the second school, with all the 'rich' kids? I would include her in this decision. She will be the one who has to fit in and be successful.

Just Me said...

Well, at least you have several options. What are Hannah's thoughts on where she wants to go?

I think I'd be leaning toward the new charter school at this juncture. Big schools just scare me anymore.

Julianna said...

as someone who took a chance on a brand new school and was part of the first graduating class of my college, I vote for the charter school! It was an *amazing* opportunity to have a say in my education over the next 4 years of my life, I had a great time, the small size helped me make tons of great friends, she will have great college opportunities because of her unique experience - imagine saying "founded music club" instead of "member of music club" on your resume. I think there are a lot of benefits. It can be bumpy, like you said, so she'd have to be really interested in sticking with it and making it work and giving all the feedback she can to improve the school.

Jeanne said...

I think you need to look at the type of student H is. IF she's the type who is self motivated and will get the job done let her go to the public school. she'll have just as many opportunities available to her if not more than private school and she will be a well rounded kid. Might as well be in society instead of in an elite setting.... I am leery about the charter school....

Rebecca Grinder said...

I graduated from a high school that offered the International Baccalaureate Program. I highly recommend the program for students who are serious about their education and who want to be challenged! The classes are college focused. I started attending the school in my sophomore year so, I didn't take the classes to take the final tests and finish the program but instead I took the classes to be challenged and be around other students who wanted to learn. One thing I didn't like was that I was required to read literature that I didn't think was appropriate to read as a teenager let alone as an adult. Hey, but I realized that it would have been required to read a lot that I thought was inappropriate at college.

Everlasting Monday said...

I think the charter school sounds really great!

Nat said...

Well, it's never too early to start looking at the options. The charter school sounds good, but will the foundation for all her interests be in place and established in time for her to really get everything out of them that she could at a school with a long tradition in the arts?

And I always say that school is what you make/put in to it. Even if she were to go to Ragetti (sp??), I would encourage you and Tim to get involved and get to know her teachers, her friends and especially the counselors. It would be important to plug her in to the right people and check in frequently to see how she's doing. If she has the right amount of adult leadership and guidance, it should be a good experience.

BUT the gang thing and open campus seem to be on the minus side.

We'll be praying for the right option to make itself very clear to you in the coming year! - Nat

Cyn Pip Pics said...

Wow - lots to consider. I like Julie's response, but as someone else said--it would depend on what kind of student Hannah is. What does she want to do?

Nat said...

A P.S. from Nat: Why don't you consider doing "informational interviews" of kids and their parents who go to each school? (That's something I apply to career changes - I thought it might help you with this choice, too!)

scappingdixie said...

I am going to try to remember what I wrote the first time and then lost. Anyway with Righetti having open campus and the dress code they do and gangs I would be very leary. My one suggestion is always have your kids go where their friends are going that you like them to be with. And I guess that would be Righetti but that would be my last choice. As you know I am a fan of St. Joe but if you can't get any financial help because you are a coach and former teacher I would probably save my money and send her to the charter school. As far as the charter school is concerned, I would check on teachers, principal and what classes they really will offer. I know you are praying about it and getting Hannah's opinion but I think it should be the parents decision in the end because you are still in charge. Remember no school is perfect and you are going to have to be involved in some way at whatever school you choose. I would rate them St Joe #1, Charter #2, Righetti #3. I will be praying along with you for clear direction from Christ.

scappingdixie said...

I am going to try to remember what I wrote the first time and then lost. Anyway with Righetti having open campus and the dress code they do and gangs I would be very leary. My one suggestion is always have your kids go where their friends are going that you like them to be with. And I guess that would be Righetti but that would be my last choice. As you know I am a fan of St. Joe but if you can't get any financial help because you are a coach and former teacher I would probably save my money and send her to the charter school. As far as the charter school is concerned, I would check on teachers, principal and what classes they really will offer. I know you are praying about it and getting Hannah's opinion but I think it should be the parents decision in the end because you are still in charge. Remember no school is perfect and you are going to have to be involved in some way at whatever school you choose. I would rate them St Joe #1, Charter #2, Righetti #3. I will be praying along with you for clear direction from Christ.

Lynette said...

I would lean towards the charter school too. But the lottery won't let you know for a while. Like everyone else, what kind of student will she be? I went to a high school like the big one and did fine. My children would never have done well in a big school