Sunday, April 22, 2007

Day 3- Yorktown and Monticello

April 10- We started the day at Yorktown. This is the place of the last battle (or the last important battle.. or something. I think Cornwallis surrendered here) of the revolutionary war.
At Yorktown, they have a farm, set up like the 1770's, and a military post. The farm had some interesting things. We found out that they had a house, and they had a kitchen or "cookhouse" separate from the house. This is so they didn't have to live with the smoky smells all day. They showed us how they lived. At this point I must admit, I was not paying too much attention. I spent the tour outside photographing a turkey. He fascinated me. I am not sure why.. I have seen turkeys before. I just took about 10 pictures of him. I did snap back to pay attention to the tour guide as she told us how they made linen from flax. Did you know that it takes an acre of flax to make one set of linen sheets? No wonder linen is expensive!
The military post was a bit more interesting. They had a bunch of pup tents set up. They had 6 people go inside. They were very cramped standing there in the tent. Then the guide said, this is how many people were assigned to each tent. MAN! No wonder sickness was an issue for soldiers then. If your tent mate was sick then you were sure to get sick too. The commander's tent was a nice roomy tent about 20x20. It slept just the commander. Had a desk, table, bed, Chandelier type candle... I think he was a little spoiled compared to his men!

Next we boarded the bus on our way to Monticello. This was about a 2 1/2 hour trip. (did I mention that the bus had 20 inch flat screen tv's all the way back?? We did get to watch a few good movies.. mixed in with a few teenybopper movies, like high school musical, blech) Anyhoo... this picture is of Hannah and her friends by yet another Dogwood tree...did I mention that I REALLY like Dogwood trees?
And I REALLY LOVE the pink Dogwood trees!!!!!
So, here we are at Monticello. Tim wanted me to have a picture taken with both Hannah and I, so here I obliged... The lighting was good, you can't see my flaws! Anyway, this was a wonderful place. I was in awe of the buildings here. I can't imagine being that well to do!

I loved the grounds. Full of flowers and trees. I could imagine spending time on the porch here and reading my book and sipping iced tea...

And one more shot of Hannah with the house in the background. After the tour, we got back on the bus, headed for a pizza hut in Charlottsville, had dinner, and then drove the rest of the way to the hotel in Springfield, VA which was our home for the next 4 nights.

5 comments:

CK Photo said...

This is sounding like an awesome trip. She is going to remember it forever.

And Dogwoods are beautiful, nothing wrong with taking lots of pictures of them.

Angie Feldman said...

What a great experience!

Everlasting Monday said...

Great pics. Also you do know THAT i COULD HAVE TAKEN THE TRAIN AND MET YOU FOR COFFEE right?

Unknown said...

:hanging head in shame: I didn't know if we would have any free time.. but I should have at least called you! I am very sorry :o(

Rachel said...

I love that you cringe at High School Musical!