Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Dining room table

The dining room table... there was much time spent around it. I don't know if we kids spent much time there.. we were always dying to be excused. On big family dinner days, we may have eaten in another room too.. this room was a bit cramped. This picture is of Granddad, Grandpa and Grandma. I don't know if this was a holiday, but you can tell that mom was cooking, because the meal is over and there is STILL enough to feed an army... she never makes small servings.. I inherited this and we ALWAYS have leftovers! And remember that wall paper??? This table is now in my dining room. And I love it when Mom and Dad are visiting and the kids beg to stay around the table and play board games.

February 28, 2007 | Permalink


comments
I think that this wasn't a REAL holiday, like Thanksgiving or Christmas or Easter....because I don't have the Noritake china out, with the wreaths of roses....I DO, however, have the footed glasses out. Who knows? but I think the 'occasion' was the visit of Skip and Sharon Caligan, my cousin and her family down from Soldatna, AK. I think that's Sharon's arm in the lower corner of the picture. If it's not THEM, then it's Uncle Duane and Aunt Jan, from Whitefish, MT. Whenever, we were ALL much younger. I think that the dining room may have been small, but I fed 15 people in there the first Christmas we lived there...both sets of parents, my grandparents, the Andersons and all of us...we just butted another folding table up to the dining room table (it was before the round oak one...it was a grey "marble" chrome and plastic monstrosity, with the gold high backed chairs, remember?)and extended it out into the living room. Thank heavens for hardwood floors....we could scoot things around with no problem at all. I do remember that getting everyone seated was a science, and if you were one of the unlucky ones back against the wall, once you got seated, you'd better not have to get up and go anywhere soon, because the whole assemblage would have to get up, pull out the table and wait patiently while you were....busy....in the bathroom, usually.
That wallpaper was a little loud, but it was practically indestructable, and would be on the wall YET if we hadn't gotten tired of it about 8 years into its' life. The next one was a deep mauve with teeny little pink nosegays, remember it? The first wallpaper was hung by Grandad Barnes...but by the time we hung the mauve stuff, I had gotten up enough courage to hang it myself, and did a pretty decent job, if I do say so myself!

Posted by: Mom | March 07, 2007 at 07:36 PM

No comments: