Sunday, February 18, 2007

Grandpa

So I was cleaning out a cabinet, and there was a box full of old pictures... I think that I will scan one a day for this week and tell you about it. I know, not too interesting, but these pictures really brought some memories flooding back to me.

This is a picture of my Grandpa, Clarence Page. I think that this was taken when I was about 20, so that would be 24 years ago (gasp!). I remember taking this picture and thinking that I wanted to always remember my grandpa this way. Fishing... perfect stream... beat-up hat...just before sunset.

My Grandpa was quite a character. He loved everything about the outdoors. Fishing, hunting, camping, if it was out in the wild, he wanted to be there! He had a myriad of jobs during his life and could tell you facts from almost any subject you wanted to know about. He loved reading (maybe that is where I got my love of books... well, I got that from my mom, his daughter.. close enough) and read every western he could get his hands on. He loved Louis L'more (sp?) books. My grandpa had the greatest nicknames for us kids. He would hug you and call you "knot head" or "rotten kid" or some other term of endearment (I am sure that all your grandpa's used the same ones.) Grandpa was a master story teller... We joke about the Page family rule.. "If you are going to tell a story, Make it BIG". My Mom also got that from Grandpa. My grandpa and grandma never had much money. But they sure enjoyed life. We got to celebrate their 50th anniversary before he got too sick. He developed Alzheimer's about when Hannah was born (actually a little before maybe) and we lost the vibrant person he was, long before he went to be with his Savior. I miss my grandpa.. I think that this picture shows what he spends his time in Heaven doing. Fishing.. perfect stream.. beat-up hat...just before sunset... I can't wait to see him there and listen to his latest story.

February 18, 2007 | Permalink



Comments
Thanks for sharing this great picture! It is the quintessential Grandpa Page. White t-shirt and jeans - those glasses that he'd had since the 50s or 60s (they actually came back in style for a while there in the 80s).

What a great walk down memory lane. I sure miss him, Grammie and Grandad. Looking forward to seeing them again. - Nat

Posted by: Nat - Grandpa | February 26, 2007 at 01:14 PM

Honeybun, those shoes were
"Sbicca", and they were right up there with Cherokees, as far as you gals were concerned!
In fact, I still have TWO pair of them out in the storage shed! We will dig them out this summer, okay?
And the picture of Grandpa...it made me cry! It's how I remember him best, and I still miss my "Pappa"....especially on fishing trips. I'm involved in writing a bunch of the family stories/history (okay,. they're PAGE family stories, and history according to ME....but you know they'll be good, right?)
and I've been reminded over and over what a character he was...and how I loved him!
Like Natalie says, thanks so much for a quick mosey down Memory Lane!

Posted by: Mom | February 27, 2007 at 09:35 PM

No comments: