Thursday, June 14, 2007

It's a small world after all...

Ok, so sorry that you have that song stuck in your head (what is that called.. an earworm?) but it fits my ramblings...
The internet... it's called the WORLD WIDE WEB... but really what it means to me is that I have friends that I chat with from all over the world. People who share my interests (ok, interest singular... scrapbooking) and gift of gab. I have sent cards to women that I have never met IRL (in real life, for those of you who are not acronym savvy) but who needs cheering up (illness, tired from kids, just life stuff). I know their faces, their kids' names, their husbands names and what they do... I KNOW these women, without ever having met. We laugh together, we give cyber hugs when we are in need, we offer assistance when we can. I guess it is sort of like the pen pal of my youth. Someone out there who I really can get to know, without seeing.
Yeah, I know that because we have never met, some people may not be all that they seem...and I won't let my daughters get online and "meet" people...but when they are grown, and can discern people, I hope that they can form lasting friendships with people from all walks of life... people who would never cross paths with them normally, but who we can learn much from. People like my girlfriends on the internet.

4 comments:

Rebecca Grinder said...

I love being in another state and being able to read (hopefully at least once a week) about your daily life. It is so much more personal then a letter from my pen pal during my childhood. It used to take a month for a letter to arrive from CA to Austria or England, then time for them to write back, and then another month to get to me. Everything in the letter was outdated by the time I used to get it. It was fun to get letters in the mail... and still is fun to get real snail mail instead of only junk mail, bills, and credit card applications in my mail box...but the www helps me feel more connected to my family and friends all around the world! I love it!

Just Me said...

I was the lucky recipient of one of those beautiful cards and stamp sets. I was so excited to open the envelope! You are a totally sweet person Janette....I was thinking over the past few days about my "virtual" friends....I'm going to do a long blog about it.

Cyn Pip Pics said...

Janette! I tagged you. See my blog...

- Cyn

Jeanne said...

:hug: